Thursday 3 December 2009

Read and Review Comparison between the two Journals

The two journals which I have looked at contribute, and support each other as they are looking at the general idea that there is a divide between the younger generations and the elderly generations in terms of use and understanding of new technology. The first journal looks at the elderly using technology in public libraries and in particular using the online catalogues. The second journal looks at the elderly using technology in terms of online social networking site and online communities. Both look at studies to support this ideas and look at possible reasons for this, such as physical constraints and understanding how to use the technology. At the same time as showing that the elderly have difficulties and are unsure when using new technology, the studies from both resources showed that this age group were positive about using technology and were wanting to learn and embrace how to use the technology. This then relates to my product idea and helped me to research for my product design as it enables me to see that with my product it could enable the elderly to embrace a new form of technology in the E-Catalogue, that is easy to use and understand.
Both journal A, the first resource, and journal B, the second resource, mention that when researching they have notice that an important factor for elderly people using technology is that it needs to be easy to use. This is in terms of easy to physically use, such as large, easily recognisable icons and possibly a simple to use touch screen. This idea would also need to include simple and easy to follow instructions.
As this age group is one of the target consumers for my product I feel then this is one of the main issues regarding my product, and how one of the main functions of my product is to be easy to use and not require the use of a computer. From the research I have noticed that a possible addition to my product design might be to include the idea of social interaction and to create a kind of community that the elderly could join and create.
I would take my design further by possible going on to look more at the technical side of my product. This is to enable my product to have all the functions and capabilities it would require after having looked into the researched of the requirements of one of the target consumers of my product. In terms of design I would want to make it easy to hold by being lightweight , and easy to store. Also possibly interview a range of the products consumers to find out any other requirements and functions they would like or require the product to do.

Bibliography
- Karahasanovic, A et al (2009) Co-creation and user-generated content-elderly people’s user requirements, Science Direct
-Kelley, C and N. Charness, (1995), Issues in training older adults to use computers, Behaviour and Information Technology 14(2): 107-120
- Lieffers, L (2000) The older adult and public library computer technology: A pilot study on a Canadian setting, K. G. Saur Verlag
-Low, G (1990), Computer Literary, Canadian Social Trends 19:13-15

I have added in to the last assignment 3 Bibliography

No comments:

Post a Comment